IS A U-SHAPED KITCHEN THE BEST CHOICE?
Reasons to Choose a U-Shaped Kitchen
- Often an excellent choice for small to medium areas, with larger areas able to include an island bench.
- Great for creating a perfect “work triangle” (i.e. the work area between the fridge, cooktop and the sink).
- The best layout for maximising bench-space and storage.
- Can be divided into multiple, independent work areas.
- Can’t be used as a thoroughfare (i.e. no through-traffic to disrupt cooking activities).
- Can often include a breakfast bar and some bar stools for casual dining.
- A wide U Shaped Kitchen Design can accommodate an island bench for extra workspace and storage.
- A good mix of cupboards, drawers (of different shapes and sizes) and shelves can be achieved.
Reasons Not to Choose a U-Shaped Kitchen
- If the area is too small the kitchen may feel cramped and movement within the kitchen could be compromised.
- Access to low, corner cabinets can be an issue. Achieving “free-travel” of doors and drawers in low corners is a challenge that should be entrusted only to a skilled kitchen designer / tradesman.
Our Top Tips – Things to Avoid in a U-Shaped Kitchen
- Don’t obstruct the “kitchen triangle”
- Don’t waste opportunities to create extra storage space.
- Don’t waste valuable bench space. Electrical appliances and the microwave oven can be stored away in areas specifically designed for this purpose.
- Don’t be tempted to neglect splashbacks. You may initially save a few dollars by designing your kitchen without a splashback, however unsightly cooking spatters will quickly make your kitchen look grubby. Besides, greasy spatters are much easier to remove from a glass splashback than your kitchen wall!
- Don’t include an island bench if the space within your U-shaped kitchen is too small to allow ease of movement.
- Don’t go “over the top” with brightly-coloured cabinetry. Modern kitchen designs feature “classic”, neutral tones that don’t date quickly. If you’re fond of bold colours we suggest you consider adding personality to your kitchen with coloured splashbacks, accessories and painted walls.
Important Considerations for Your U-Shaped Kitchen
Large U-shaped kitchens may benefit from an island bench to minimise the distance from one side of the kitchen to the other. In this circumstance it is a great idea to centralise your sink or cooktop (eg. in the island bench if possible).
If you choose to include an island bench, try to achieve a clearance of at least 900mm all around the island so people can move freely in the area and to allow doors and drawers to open fully.
Corner cabinets offer the opportunity to maximise storage space. We can show you some fabulous pull-out wire-ware accessories that have revolutionised these previously under-utilised areas.
Our Showroom (Booking Only)
2 Ellerslie Road, Meadowbrook
Logan City, QLD 4131
Servicing: Brisbane, Gold Coast, and everywhere between including Brisbane Northside: Ashgrove, Bardon, Chelmer, Clayfield, Fig Tree Pocket, Kedron, Kenmore, Red Hill, The Gap, Wavell Heights. Brisbane Southside: Acacia Ridge, Burleigh Waters, Camp Hill, Coorparoo, Cornubia, Daisy Hill, Palm Beach, Shailer Park, Sunnybank Hills, Tarragindi
@ 2023 Imperial Kitchens